Jan 20, 2015

Why I'm called Winifred...

First of all, I'm sorry for not wishing you all a merry Christmas. And not re-decorating. Very busy...
Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!!!
In short, Happy Holidays!

   The point of this blog post is to write why I'm "named" what I'm named.
A good while back, somewhere between age ten or eleven, I was experiencing a complicated and sad friendship situation. A dear adult introduced me to the wonderful book series Redwall, which continues to be a firm favorite. After devouring the first book, the rest became close and comforting mates during that trying time. Discovering there was a website, I eagerly set about constructing an account so I could join in the fun discussions about the series. I became stuck when choosing a username. Names are very important to me. When I make up a character or when I'm writing, almost all my names have a special personal significance.
   I was voicing my problem to my sibling and we took a walk outdoors for deeper discussion. From favorite characters to brave heroes, mice, hedgehogs, badgers, otters, squirrels, moles and many others were touched upon. But all were claimed by other users or not to my liking. Finally, my brother suggested Winifred Otter, from the very first book written in the series. At first I was skeptical, "Nooo," I said, she's not important in the story, and she's not one of my most favorite characters, but the more I thought about it, the more I preferred it. Winifred Otter. I loved otters and the name itself was lovely. And who said I had to be the exact same Winifred?
And so really you have my brother to thank for my christening, the name has stuck for these five years. My family and closest friends know and call me Winifred and it has become my internet (and various others) Pseudonym. Today I'm better known as Winifred Longrudder.

   I apologize for the long personal story, but many people have recently asked me, "Who's Winifred?" "Why'd you write that name?" "Is that your cup?", I felt the need to tell the entire tale of how this jolly otter person is really a person in a new stage of life, who made new friends, and found a new name.
Also, to give credit where credit is due.
Thank you Brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment